India vs Pakistan: A possible U-19 World Cup final showdown after 18 years
The 2024 ICC Under-19 Cricket World Cup is nearing its conclusion, with India and Pakistan emerging as the two frontrunners for the title. Both teams have remained unbeaten throughout the tournament and will be looking to lift the trophy on February 11.
India booked their place in the final with a thrilling two-wicket victory over South Africa in the first semi-final. Chasing a target of 245, India was in a spot of bother at 32/4 before skipper Yash Dhull (81) and Shafali Verma (96) stitched together a 171-run partnership to rescue the innings.
Pakistan, on the other hand, will face Australia in the second semi-final on February 8. If they manage to beat Australia, it will set up a mouth-watering final clash between India and Pakistan, the first since 2006.
In the 2006 final, Pakistan defeated India by 38 runs in a low-scoring encounter. However, the tables have turned since then, with India enjoying a dominant record against Pakistan in age-group cricket.
The young Indian team will be eager to avenge the defeat of 2006 and create history by winning the U-19 World Cup for a record fifth time. The stage is set for an epic final showdown between the two arch-rivals, and it promises to be a thrilling encounter.
Here are some additional details about the two teams:
- India has won the U-19 World Cup four times (2000, 2008, 2012, 2018)
- India is the current U-19 World Cup champion
- India has won all of its matches in the 2024 U-19 World Cup
- India’s top performers in the 2024 U-19 World Cup include Yash Dhull, Shafali Verma, and Ravi Bishnoi
- Pakistan has won the U-19 World Cup once (2006)
- Pakistan has finished as runners-up in the U-19 World Cup twice (1988, 2000)
- Pakistan has won all of its matches in the 2024 U-19 World Cup
- Pakistan’s top performers in the 2024 U-19 World Cup include Mohammad Huraira, Qasim Akram, and Naseem Shah
The final of the 2024 U-19 World Cup is scheduled to be played on February 11 at the Potchefstroom Cricket Stadium in South Africa. It is sure to be a high-octane affair, with both teams vying for the prestigious title.